Monday, February 28, 2011

On Being Young

I have always felt at least two or three years older than I actually am. This can be a really frustrating thing at pretty much any stage of life. It's so hard when you are young to comprehend the length of your life.

I felt it especially keenly being here. Almost daily my co-workers would comment on how young I was (not in the best terms either) to be teaching, to be married, to want children, pretty much everything about me. It was really discouraging because I felt like when someone said "wow, you're so young" they were also saying "wow, you can't do anything!" 

God has been teaching me and giving me great perspective about youth. I am sure those who read this post and have experienced more life than me, will laugh. When you are young, you are not very smart, but you are very teachable. When you're young, you don't have wisdom that comes with time, but you have enthusiasm, and the energy to "get up and do it again". When you're young, you can't look at your own life to gain experience, but you can look at others.

Wow, I never really saw all the strengths in being young! It's not a bad thing to still be on the front end of learning how to do life. I haven't made nearly as many mistakes yet : ) 

And the best thing (I think): The more I learn now, when I am young, the more wisdom I am granted, the more I rely on God now, the fuller my life will be and the more effective Christ can make me.

I understand why Paul discipled Timothy and told him not to be afraid of his youth. Youth is intimidating, it is foolish, it is awkward, but it is a horrible thing to waste.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this encouraging insight. I've often been called young and I have wanted to have some defense, but I don't need one. God has blessed me beyond anything I could ever merit!

    ReplyDelete