My guess is that if you have ever experienced a situation where you are with someone who does not fluently understand your language (and visa versa) you've probably misinterpreted something they've said, or not been able to understand them at all! "Lost In Translation" is a very common phrase here, and so I want to dedicate a series of blog posts about the incidents John and I have with translation problems. Most of them are really quite funny.
Today, one of my students had drawn a maze on his paper. My co-teacher said "Oh, it's a labbelinth!" (please say this word outlould and listen to how it sounds). Unfortunatly for him, I couldn't figure out what he was saying and just stared at him for a minute.
Can you guess the word?
Labyrinth.
Oh, Korean and your "r" "l" sounds!
Have your teacher gone to see "la-pun-ja"? It took me sooo long to figure out what movie they were referring to :) Ah yes, Rapunzel.
ReplyDelete