Monday, January 17, 2011

Finally!

By now, most of our friends and family probably think that we are dead. The end of School, Christmas, New Years... all gone by without a blog post. What has happened to the Harrisons?

Well, let me assure you that we are in fact, not dead. In fact, we are the very opposite. Life has been so eventful that I have neglected to put time aside to blog. Let's hope that this is a new beginning, and that from now on I will keep all well informed : )

I'll start with Kelsey. Many of you read my previous post and/or are familiar with my best friend Kelsey's situation. Thank you so much for the support you have given me and the Koch family. During the period of my last post, many people from the States sent me such encouraging messages, posts, and chats. It has helped me so much to know that people are thinking about everyone involved! And Praying!!! Kelsey is still at NIH with many ups and downs. If you want to know more about her situation, please go to her blog kjkdancingthroughtherain.blogspot.com

Christmas!
Christmas was pretty uneventful for us : ) Because it fell on a saturday, we didn't get an extra day off work, but we enjoyed doing something a little different. No real tree for us this year, instead we put our gifts on the stairs. John's big thing was some new video games, but my big one was a SEWING MACHINE!!!!! Sewing machines are very hard to come by in Korea, so this was really an exciting thing. I havn't finished any projects yet, but I've got two lined up.
Christmas in Korea was different for more reasons than just lack of a tree... it is pretty much lack of everything Christmas. No candy canes, no eggnog, no Christmas trees, no ham, no Carols. It was a great opportunity for two reasons. 1, I learned how to make some things that I never would have in the US, namely eggnog and whipped cream. I think we've made some new Christmas traditions there : ) John was really happy to have eggnog (which he eagerly waits for every year) and what better excuse to have REAL whipped cream (because coolwhip doesn't exist in this country). It was also good because we were able to focus on Christ, the Cross, and God's purpose for coming to the world. Without lights, traditions, and family, the only thing we had left was Christ and eachother. This year I definitely celebrated CHRISTmas.

New Years!
Was a very fun day! We went to a friends house who lives out in the country (they actually have a 3 bedroom apt!)and stayed up all night. Funny story: As it approached midnight, I started to wonder why we weren't searching the internet to find the ball drop in Time Square!.... Yeah, John had a good laugh at me forgetting that we are 14 HOURS AHEAD of New York...
Besides that momentary laps of memory, we had a great time and got to know our friends much better.

School!
Since Christmas, John and I have been teaching winter camps at our schools. It has been great being able to have more one-on-one interaction with students. And i've gotten to practice my Korean names! (it's not as easy as you think). Only 4 more days of camp and John and I have 2 WEEKS OF VACATION!!!! We are so ready : ) This time I think we're just going to stay around Korea and travel. Maybe go to Seoul (pronounced Soe-ul btw), Japan, or skiing. We'll see. We're both just really happy to have a break!

2 things really quick before I go and eat dinner : )

1. As classes have slowed down, I've been getting into my hobby more and more. I am now a crochet maniac! It's bordering on obsession : ) I spend most of my free time and on the subway making something or other. It really makes me feel great that I can accomplish things that I can use or give! Last saturday I hosted a Ladies Crafting Day. It was so great to fellowship with other women and craft!

2. Yesterday (sunday) was the coldest day in Busan history. -13 degrees C. (about 10F) And we had no heat at church! It was great. Such wonderful learning experiences not living in the US! School today was not so fun though... absolutely no feeling in my hands or feet by the time I left after only 3 hours... but only 4 more days!

Thank you everyone for your support and prayers. I'll update the prayer requests soon! Please let us know what is happening with you! Congrats to all the couples who got married over the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment