Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Such an adventure

I ate my first piece of squid yesterday. hm.. just seeing that written looks weird.

We are adjusting to life in Korea. I can now go to the store without wondering around like a lost puppy. I have met all of my studetns I will teach for the next month, and I have officially cooked two meals in our apaprtment.

John has had it hard at work because he was given classes with no english speaking teachers to help translate. Many of the students have a very low English comprehension level while others are very proficient. It is difficult for a trained teacher to teach such varied ability, let alone someone who has never offically taught. Please be praying that John finds a good balance at work and continues to build relationships with the students and teachers.

In addition to eating squid, I have had an eventful few days. The teachers at my school have lunch served in the cafeteria and we don't really have a choice of what we are served. Yesterday I was sitting eating my food when my co-teacher asked me if I had tried the squid. (Thank you for telling me the thing I don't want to eat is right in front of me!) I have tried to make a habbit of not asking what the food is I am eating, just incase it is something I can't handle. Well, that didn't happen yesterday. There I was eating squid, knowing full well what it was. >:( Thankfully it didn't taste that bad, and the texture was not as chewy as I had predicted. It was edible. After I ate the squid, however, my co-teacher asked me if I knew what another food item on my plate was. I guessed.... maybe potatoes or dried seaweed? It tasted pretty good so I was eating it. Then my co-teacher said "well maybe I shouldn't tell you what it is." Great. I couldn't eat any more. Later I found out it was only dried fish, but at the time I was thinking it was pig stomach, intestines, brains... I had no idea.

We are in for a pretty eventful day tomorrow too since a typhoon is on its way in. As I look out our apartment window I can see pretty much the biggest, lowest clouds I have ever seen and they are moving super fast. Tomorrow's going to be a fun walk to school :)

Thank you so much to those who have said hi and have told us you are praying! We really appreciate the encouragement and would love to skype with you!

1 comment:

  1. Where He leads me I will follow; what He feeds me I will swallow :)

    ReplyDelete