Since starting this blog, I have gotten numerous questions about what exactly it is John and I are planning to do. I thought it would be appropriate to let you all know just exactly what we are planning to do.
Korea is our target! The Korean government will allow anyone with a degree from an accredited university teach from an English speaking country teach English. (I have to clarify that not everyone with a degree can teach, there is an application process.) The point is that you do not need to have a degree in English or education. Korea is an easy first step for John and I to get some international experience. In Korea, most everyone takes English classes in the public school, so it is very common to find English speakers and people who want to improve their skills. This is good for us because it will be an easier transition because we will not need to learn a new language to survive.
We hope to be accepted by the public school system. Our research has lead us to believe that that is the safest and most economical option. While there we will be paid a salary, and we will not be serving with a missions board. The initial commitment is for one year, but we are planning for 1-3 years, depending on what God wants us to do.
We hope to be able to launch more full time work in Asia from Korea. That is still very far in the future for us, though, and God likes to keep us guessing (aka, trusting Him!).
Please be praying!!! Applications are accepted beginning April 1, and we would probably leave for training some time at the end of August. We are super excited, but very nervous. Pray that God would give us favor with the Korean government and that He will open up the doors for us. We are His witnesses!
~Katelyn
No comments:
Post a Comment